Murter Island A Gate To
Is not accidental that I have chosen the Murter island. Rarely you can find the islands having such a favorable position like this one. If you're a fan of all kinds of sea activities, you can hardly find a better place.
Murter island belongs to Northern Dalmatian group of islands, located between Zadar and Sibenik. It is 30 km north of Sibenik and 60 km south of Zadar. The close
vicinity of Kornati national park makes it the most important nautical
base on the Croatian coast.
Everything on this island is dedicated to nautical tourism. Due to the proximity of the national park Kornati islands, this island offers few modern marinas, the best mooring bays for yachts owners.
One of the best marinas, Hramina is located in a beautiful
Murter bay with 400 berths and 250 places on land, equipped with all infrastructures.
Apart from this one there are two marinas (In the very heart of Kornati National Park), one on the island of Zut (marina with 113 berths) and the second one on island Piskera (120 berths). Both marinas are opened from March to October. Here you can find them on this map!
How to get to Murter Island?
If you are traveling by car, it's rather easy to reach this island, no matter you are coming from Zadar or Sibenik. This island is connected by a small drawbridge between mainland and Tisno village. The bridge is open for half an hour twice a day, at 9.00 AM and 17.00 PM.
There are four settlements on the Island, Murter, Tisno, Jezera and Betina.
- Murter - It's the main village on the island in the northwest. Murter is also known as a starting point for trips to Kornati National Park. Nearby sandy Slanica beach is the most popular family beach with its shallow waters. Right next to the beach there is an affordable 3 stars hotel, Colentum and camping ground Slanica. The hotel is named after the Roman ruins of Colentum.
- Tisno is the youngest town on the island. It is situated at the point where the island of Murter connects the mainland with the old mobile bridge.
- Betina village is considered to be one of the most beautiful places in the Adriatic. Betina is known for its tradition of shipbuilding. There are nearly over 20 small family shipyards in Betina, where skillful shipbuilders use hand tools to build distinctive and lifelong traditional wooden boats.
- Jezera is the smallest town on the island of Murter, located around the sheltered bay on the northeast side of the island. This village is also famous for marina 'Jezera' and by the fact to be one of the strongest fishing centers in central Dalmatia.
Things to do on Murter Island
On the island only seven nautical miles from Kornati islands, 'the nautical paradise' with 89 islands, islets and cliffs all activities are associated with the sea.
- Cruising through Kornati
- Diving and snorkeling
- Take part in sailing school
- Swimming in the sea
- Walking and hiking on the Kornati islands
- Kayaking adventures
- Take part in fishing your own meal
- Take a night tour to discover amazing starry sky above Kornati.
- Don't miss a major cultural event on the island in Betina village - regatta of traditional ships, named Latinsko idro (Latin sail) every year at the end of September, during the feast of St. Michael, the patron saint of the town.
Murter Island Accommodation
Back to all Croatia's islands page!