When planning you vacations in Croatia, probably Crikvenica Croatia won’t be the first place on your bucket list. Tourists usually seek out for top Croatia’s destinations such as Dubrovnik or Hvar.
Rare are those who consider smaller coastal towns for their holidays , neglecting the fact the smaller towns can be more affordable, offering a number of surprises. One of them is Crikvenica Riviera.
It’s strange how this small Riviera only within a day’s drive from any part of Europe, has been bypassed by tourist. For example, Munich, Vienna or Milan are only less than six hours of driving or Paris and Warsaw are thirteen hours of driving.
This small coastal town is only 160 Km from Zagreb capital, 110 Km from Trieste and only 34 Km from Rijeka, capital of Kvarner region.
Crikvenica Croatia Map
Before I show you where’s this Riviera on the map, it will be useful to highlight its geographical position. It makes part of Kvarner County, nested between Istria peninsula and Northern Dalmatia coast line.
On the Kvarner County map you you can clearly notice all islands that make part of this gulf better know as Kvarner Bay with Cres and Krk islands.
Crikvenica Rivera consists of a row of small charming coastal places: Crikvenica, Dramalj, Jadranovo and Selce . The Town of Crikvenica is actually a seaside riviera with four small coastal towns in one!
Crikvenica Croatia can be reached by almost all means of transport. By car you can use a modern highway E 65 from Zagreb to Rijeka and after leaving the highway, take road D501 to Crikvenica.
Traveling by bus is the cheapest way to reach Crikvenica, whether you’re coming from Zagreb or Italy. You can buy bus tickets online in Autotrans web shop!
From Zagreb there is a train connection with Rijeka. It’s the cheapest but also the slowest way of traveling. On Croatian Railway Company website you can check train timetable and buy your ticket online.
If you decide to fly to get to Crikvenica Croatia, you have to fly to Rijeka Airport located on the Island of Krk which is only 20 Km from Crikvenica.
It may look strange but there are no boat connections from Rijeka to Crikvenica Riviera. In spite of that thanks to a private entrepreneur Marinero Tours , there is a fast boat line that connects Crikvenica to Krk island.
This fast boat leaves from Silo a small village in the north-east of the island of Krk to Crikvenica. In the high season from 01.07. till 31.08, the carrier is obliged to provide at least 10 sails a day.
The line has the status of a ship, but the line holds a boat that arrives on the island for five minutes. The return ticket price is only 38 kuna. Many tourists from Krk island take a day trip to visit Crikvenica Croatia Riviera.
Best Things to Do in Crikvenica
Visiting Crikvenica and its Riviera, swimming and relaxation are not the only things to do. There are a number of exciting things to do in Crikvenica.
Today’s tourists want to spend their holidays in an active manner. One of the most popular activities and the best way to enjoy the extraordinary sights is walking and hiking.
The seven walking and hiking trails in Crikvenica, Dramalj, Jadranovo and Selce are more than enough to discover all beauties of this area.
All of this trails run along the coast, through a pine forest right by the sea, or through the green hinterland across attractive forests, fields, mountain tops, cliffs and ridges.
If you’re a fan of long romantic walks than Love Path (Ljubavna cestica) created in the early 1930s, has become a favorite place for couples in love.
This eight kilometers long path of peace and quietness is the perfect place to enjoy the beautiful nature and cultural and historical heritage. Here is this path on the map !
I recommend two historical and cultural sites while walking along this path; Badanj Fort (the oldest surviving medieval fortification and Pod Veli Kamik ( freshwater spring that from 1890 was the only source of drinking water during the dry summer months).
Other activities include:
- Cycling trails – to admire a variety of attractive landscapes the area of Crikvenica Croatia offers approximately 300 km of diverse cycling tracks some suitable for recreational cyclists and others more demanding for professionals.
- Paragliding – If you prefer more adrenaline activity than Crikvenica hinterland is one of the most stunning sites for flying in Croatia with a view of the sea and the Kvarner bay. Full information you can find on paragliding Kvarner website !
- Diving – Crikvenica and Selce have diving clubs that organize a range of diving courses and excursions. One of the best known is Dive City in Crikvenica.
Things to do for kids
Crikvenica Croatia is one of the friendliest family with children destinations. Besides numerous beaches ideal for children, there are two special places for children:
- Adrenaline Park – located in the center of Crikvenica in the immediate vicinity of Hotel Omorika, just 50 meters from the sea. Visit their website to read about all activities.
- Crikvenica Aquarium – located in Vinodolska 8 street. Aquarium is rather small with beautiful exhibition of different species from the Adriatic sea but also from the tropics. A must-see location for families in Crikvenica.
Believe it or not, Crikvenica Croatia Riviera offers more beaches than any other destination along the Adriatic coast. Apart from the number of beaches, this area offers a significant number of sandy beaches.
Most of the beaches are Blue flag winning beaches and most of them are recommended for families with small kids.
Crikvenica town beaches
Gradsko Kupaliste (City Beach) – is Crikvenica’s most famous beach that since 1998 has a ‘Blue Flag’. This sandy and smooth pebble beach has plenty of cafe bars, restaurants, sports and children’s playgrounds.
There is a water slide and souvenir shops and numerous small shops with fresh products (fruit, pastries, bakery products). 4 stars hotel Esplanade is located across the beach.
Crni Molo (black pier) beach – another centrally located beach. It’s also a mixture of sand and smooth pebble beach surrounded by pine trees. It offers all facilities from parasols and deck chairs.
The beach offers all kind of sports activities, from beach volleyball, mini golf, water skiing. This beach is surrounded with restaurants, bars and hotels. Crni Molo is especially convenient for families with small children
Omorika Beach – This beach is located on a peninsula Dramalj, 2 Km north of Crikvenica Croatia. It’s a pebble beach, partly paved, specially suitable for families with children.
Beach is surrounded by pine trees with several bars and restaurants on the beach. Nearby hotel Omorica offers the best deals for your holidays.
Crikvenica Croatia – Dramalj Beaches
Dramalj village is connected by a beautiful seaside promenade to Crikvenica town. Dramalj stretches all the way to the Kacjak peninsula where you’ll find a paved and rocky beach.
- Kacjak beach – is specially recommended for families with small kids. The beach also offers chairs and umbrellas to rent. On the beach there are several bars and restaurants.
- Dramalj beach – This beach is located 3 km from Crikvenica, in Dramalj. It’s partly a pebble and sandy beach, surrounded by Mediterranean vegetation. It’s particularly suitable for families with small children, but also for sports fans. Nearby there is a bay dedicated to nudists.
Crikvenica Croatia – Selce beaches
Selce village is located in a picturesque cove south of Crikvenica. This seaside resort, once a village of fishermen and stonemasons, today makes an interesting holiday destination offering two beautiful beaches:
- Beach Poli Mora – this sandy beach in the immediate vicinity of Crikvenica, has been considered as the best family beach, awarded with a Blue Flag for cleanliness of the sea.
- Rokan beach – Another sandy and paved beach, equipped with showers, toilets and changing rooms with several bars and restaurants close to the beach. Even this beach is recommended for families with children.