Have you ever imagined that visiting Croatia in spring, can be a perfect time of year to visit some top Croatia destinations, when the days are longer, everything starts blooming and the nature is waking up.
Most of the tourists don’t include this period as a part of their holidays planning. In this period, the school year is in full flow and families with school children, can’t plan their holidays before mid June.
The spring according the calendar begins at the end of March and finishes around the end of June but it’s difficult to predict what the weather will be.
What is the weather like in Croatia in spring?
March and April in Croatia are the best periods to visit ancient towns as Split, Zadar, Pula or Dubrovnik if the swimming and bathing is not the primary reason for your trip.
The air temperature is still rather cool , but it could happen that in these months, specially in April you can enjoy the sample of the summer. May is my favorite month, when I personally open my swimming season.
The spring period is also a perfect for outdoor activities on your own, as organized activity tours will not start before May or June. Daily temperatures go up considerably, particularly in April.
The spring can be a great period to visit one of Croatia’s national parks (Plitvice Lake and Krka River). For visitors planning islands hoping, this period is rather lethargic and they can find a difficulty in finding appropriate ferry timetable schedule as Jadrolinja (ferry company) is still on winter ferry timetable.
You cannot go wrong if you chose spring in Croatia. The difference between these spring months are more evident in number of sunshine hours, in March 186.8 (more than 7 days) while April is sunnier with 217.2 hours ( more than 9 days).
In May it’s not quite a beach weather as the sea temperature is still rather brisk but the sun is already warm to begin your summer tan. (average temperature is 22.5° C (72.5° F) with 273 sunshine hours).
June is another peaceful month. The days are getting longer and each day is warmer and warmer. June is ready for the upcoming summer season. The average monthly sunshine hours are 307.
A good reason to be in Croatia in spring
- Avoid the summer crowds
- Save on hotel and apartments accommodation
- Spring prices at the restaurants are much lower
- Big flight deals to Croatia from UK
- Take advantage of cheaper Croatia holiday packages
All important events in Croatia in Spring
If you aspect that Croatia is just about the ‘sun and sea’ in the months of July and August , you will be surprised that Croatia also in a preseason period (low season) can offer a lot of events of various range of interests from business, culture, gastronomic, music or sport.
Days of Asparagus and Cuttlefish
- Where – Istria peninsula in Labin and Rabac villages. Find it on the map?
- When – from March 29 to April 30. 2016
- What’s all about? Almost fourteen restaurants in this area offer two menus with asparagus and two menus with cuttlefish. Asparagus (called šparuge in the Istria dialect) are known as the queen of Istria forests and the main ingredient of spring menu. If you are nearby, have a try. Good appetite!
Croatia in Spring – flower festivals
- Festival of flowers in Split Croatia
- When – from May 5 to May 10. 2016
- Where – basements of of the Diocletian’s palace.
- International Gardening Show Flora-art in Zagreb
- When – May 30 to June 6. 2016
- Where – at Bundek lake in Zagreb
Historic cultural events
- Medieval festival in Trogir
- When – from the 29th of April until 1st of May 2016
- Where – in the castle of Kamerlengo.
Croatia in Spring Wine and Gourmet festivals
- Wine festival in Dubrovnik
- When – From April 25 to May 01, 2016
- Where – numerous Dubrovnik-based restaurants, hotels and wine bars will participate in ‘Dubrovnik Wine Week’.
- Trogir town event ‘Hand’ (Heritage, Art-crafts, Nature, Domestic)
- When – from May 26 May to May 29. 2016
- What’s about – The event contains several segments: from presenting arts and crafts, traditional crafts, local cuisine and drinks at the fair to the entertainment program from folk customs and traditional dances and music.
- Where – all around old Trogir streets
Cest is d’best – international street festival
- Where – Zagreb
- When – May 26 to Jun 5, 2016
- What’s about – the street festival in Zagreb, established in 1997 and through years it developed an international character.