Essential Croatia Info
I will start essential Croatia info from its geographic position to have a clear idea of where this country is on the map of Europe. I have been asked many times, where's Croatia on the map.
Croatia's map with neighboring countries!
Taking a look on this small map on your left, you can easily figure out that Croatia is an Adriatic and a Central European country. (Please don't mix Croatia, as once used to be indicated as Eastern Europe).
It stretches in the form of an arc from the Serbia (Danube river as a border) in the northeast to Istria (peninsula) in the west and Montenegro in the southeast.
Geographically, it is situated on the cross-roads between Central Europe and the Mediterranean.
I personally like to classify my country among Mediterranean countries, due to the fact that with Italy, divides Adriatic Sea in half.
Surface area of Croatia is 56.691 sq.km , with additional 31.067 sq.km of the Adriatic sea.
Quick Croatia info notes
Here are some quick essentials facts of Croatia on state system, climate, geography, currency, weather, languages, religions, history, architecture...
President Kolinda Grabar-Kitarović, 47 years old!
- Official Name: Republic of Croatia
- The state system: The Republic of Croatia is a parliamentary democracy, like most countries in Western and Central Europe.
- President: Kolinda Grabar-Kitarović, the first woman president. Wikipedia!
- Prime Minister: Tihomir Orešković (from 2016)
- Population: 4.290.000 (2011 dates)
- Capital City: Zagreb (779,145)
- Land Area: 56,538 sq km (21,829 sq miles)
Hvar town islands!
- Climate: Mediterranean along the Adriatic coast and continental in Croatia's hinterland. Continental climate features are hot summers and cold winters while Mediterranean climate boasts with mild winters and dry and hot summers.
- Geography: The land is fertile and mostly flat in the north and northeast. The Dinaric Alps and a few smaller mountain ranges (Velebit and Velika Kapela) spreads through Croatia . The land along the Dalmatian coastline is hilly, rocky and steep. The major rivers are Sava, Drava and Danube.
- Read more about Croatia geographic data on World Atlas website!
- Islands: 1185 (including inhabited, islets and reefs). There are sixty six inhabited islands.
- Coastline: it's 5.835 km long (mainland 1,777 km and islands 4,058 km)
More on Croatia info
- Language: Croatian
- Religions: Roman Catholic, Orthodox, others
- Official Currency: Kuna
- Country telephone: code (00385) + city code without zero.
- Croatia is a Central European and Mediterranean country
- Croatia is EU (European Union) member since 2013
- Croatia flag
- Public holidays: New Year's Day, January 1, Epiphany January, Easter , April 16,17,
Labor Day, May 1, Corpus Christy, June 15, Anti-fascism Day, June 22, National Day, June 25, National Thanksgiving Day, August 5, The Assumption, August 15, Independence Day, October 8, All Saint's Day, November 1,Christmas, December 25& 26.
Croatia info - visa information
To enter Croatia, a valid passport is all you need and you can stay up to three months. Tourists from European Union, do not need a passport, only identity card valid for foreign travel will be necessary.
Tourist from USA, Canada and Australia will need a valid passport without visa. If you are not sure if you need a visa or not, please visit the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Republic of Croatia website.
Important Embassies in Croatia
Australian Embassy in Zagreb, Croatia
Address: Centar Kaptol, 3rd floor, Nova Ves 11
Phone: (385 1) 4891 200
Office Hours : Mondays to Fridays from 08.30 AM to 04.30 PM.
American Embassy in Zagreb, Croatia
Address: Andrije Hebranga, 2 Zagreb
Phone: (385 1) 661 2300
Office Hours: Mondays to Fridays from 08.00 AM to 04.00 PM
Canadian Embassy in Zagreb, Croatia
Address: Prilaz Gjure Dezelca, 4 Zagreb
Phone: (385 1) 488 1200
Office Hours: From 10.00 to 12.00 AM and from 13.oo to 15.00 PM Mondays to Fridays.
Useful Croatia info numbers
- General information - 18981
- Local Directory Assistance - 11888
- International Directory Assistance - 11802
- Emergency Assistance (Multilingual) - 112
- Weather, Traffic and Road Conditions - 18166
- Croatian Auto Club - 1987
- Police - 92
- Emergency - 93
- Fire department 94