Travel Guide to Novi Vinodolski, Croatia
Novi Vinodolski Croatia is another popular holiday destination, a combination of extraordinary historical and cultural heritage and beautiful nature.
This small town is also the capital of the same name riviera and Vinodol Municipality that consists of several small settlements: Klenovica, Povile, Breze and Bribir.
Novi Vinodolski is located at the edge of Vinodol, the fertile valley of vineyards. In fact, its name comes from the word ‘vinodol’ (wine dale or valley). Until 1953 the town was simply called Novi.
The town consists of two part, the old town sited on a hill and the new part, concentrated along the city harbor with several modern hotels, beaches and other facilities for visitors.
The old town core has developed around the Frankapan castle, built in the mid 13th century to defend the south-eastern entrance to Vinodolska valley.
Novi Vinodolski Croatia map
This town makes the part of Kvarner region, located only 47 Km from Rijeka, Kvarner capital. It’s a center of 20 Km series of coastal resorts and beaches that stretches from Crikvenica in the north and Smokvica in the south.
Novi Vinodolski is located 30 kilometers from the airport on the island of Krk and 180 kilometers from Zagreb’s airport. The vicinity of major motorways makes it easy to reach from all over Europe. From Trieste is only 122 km, 170 km from Ljubljana, 550 km from Budapest, Vienna 558 km, 590 km from Munich.
Things to See and Do in Novi Vinodolski, Croatia
The most of town’s sightseeing highlights are located inside the old town core, around the Frankopanski Square and Ivana Mazuranica Square. You can visit some of the most important town sights:
National Reading Room and Library
People’s Museum and Gallery
House of Mazuranic Brothers
Law codex of Vinodol
The Glass Chapel
Holy Trinity Church
Lookouts – the eyes of Vinodol valley
The Vinodol area is spotted with beautiful natural sights. Particularly attractive are the six lookouts points that are now connected together under the project known as ‘The Eyes of Vinodol’.
During the building of these viewpoints, particular attention was given to protection of the natural environment with the aim of preserving the distinctive natural features of the local landscape. Don’t forget to bring your camera to perpetuate this memorable scenery.
A special attention was given in building the suitable roads for easy access by car or bus. In the area of Novi Vinodolski there are three viewpoints:
- Above the village of Ledenica – the viewpoint ‘Gradina’.
- Below the Svibe – lookout ‘Sviba’.
- Krmpota – the ‘Kuk’ lookout.
The other three are in the wider area of Vinodol Municipality:
- Above the village Drivenik – ‘Mahavica’ viewpoint.
- Above the village of Grizane / Tribalj – ‘Pridva’ viewpoint.
- Above the Bribir settlement – ‘Slipica’ viewpoint.
Novi Vinodolski Croatia Beaches
The most popular town beach is Lisanj, known under the name Glavna Gradska Plaza (Main town beach). This rather long beach is mix type of beach where you’ll find concrete plateaus, rocks but also fine gravel.
Beach offers sports facilities for children (sand park) and adults (volleyball courts). On the beach you can rent chairs and parasols, and it is equipped with changing cabins, showers and toilets. The beach carries the Blue Flag.
There are numerous beaches along 25 km long Novi Vinodolski Riviera. Especially popular are the beaches in following settlements: Povile, Klenovica, Smokvica and Sibinj.
Near all these settlements, visitors can find several camping sites with their own beach. The most known are Campsite Resort Novi, Campground Punta Povile, Camp Klenovica, Camping Sibinj.
Best Hotels in Novi Vinodolski
The Resort is situated in the Kvarner Bay, only 7 km from Crikvenica, on the western outskirts of the town Novi Vinodolski.
If you are looking for accommodation in Novi Vinodolski, the choice goes from good quality hotels to comfortable private apartment rentals.
Valtur Novi Spa Hotel&Resort 4 stars
Stretching along one Km of coastline, on the slightly sloped terrain, all 70 Hotel rooms or suites and 336 luxury apartments provide stunning panoramic sea-views from their own balconies, terraces or gardens. The Resort is situated on the western outskirts of the town Novi Vinodolski. This resort will be open in the period from 29.03-06.10.
Cheap hotels in Novi Vinodolski
- Hotel Lisanj 2 stars – Lisanj hotel located on the beach Novi Vinodolski, and offers an outdoor pool with sea water, a spa with heated indoor pool, Jacuzzi and sauna. The hotel offers various leisure facilities including a basketball court. It offers 110 rooms.
- Hotel Ema 3 stars – Located 300 meters from the center of Novi and just 50 meters from the beach. This small hotel is in a quiet area with vegetation and has a restaurant.
- Hotel Tamaris – Located in the top-rated area in Novi Vinodolski, this property has an excellent location score of 9 according the guests of Booking.com.
- Hotel Ruza 3 stars – This property is one minute walk from the beach. Hotel Ruza (rose) offers pet-friendly accommodations in Novi Vinodolski and airport shuttle service at an additional charge. Airport is only 20 km away.