Complete Travel Guide to Podstrana, Croatia
Podstrana Croatia is a small Split city municipality located about 7 km from Split historic city center. It’s a nearest Split town’s Riviera.
I cannot go wrong if I recommend Podstrana as the most convenient small Riviera for couples and families with children just a few steps from Split. This recommendation is of greater value particularly during the high season (July and August).
Podstrana Croatia map
Municipality Podstrana belongs to the Split-Dalmatia County. It is located southeast from the city of Split along D8 coastal road.
It is a beach town without a town center that spreads along the coast among small villages of Zrnovica, Strozanac, Grbavac, Grljevac, Sveti Martin and Mutogras.
The most fascinating part of today’s Podstrana is old Podstrana, a village of centuries-old stone houses at the foot of steep cliffs Vrsine, the witness of the spirit of the past with breathtaking views to Split and surrounding islands.
History of Podstrana
The first known inhabitants of Podstrana were the Illyrians, the members of the Dalmatian tribe. In the end of the 1st century the Romans founded the oldest settlement on this lively area and called it Pitunium.
With the arrival of the Croats, the villages emerged on the mountain slopes mildly sinking into the sea. The oldest village Gornja Vas, facing the sea and the sun, was established in the immediate vicinity of the Mura spring-water.
Advantages of Podstrana Riviera
If you decide to spend a week or even more days in Split, it would be advisable to pick up Podstrana as a base for your holidays. There are some reasonable reasons for this:
- Podstrana, apparently a small place is an ideal combination of tranquility and harmony and only place to avoid Split summers town crowds when it turns into a big hive.
- Podstrana beaches stretch over 6 km with many small family hotels and apartments. Beaches are more peaceful and less crowded then any beach in Split .
- This Riviera is easily reachable from Split, by frequent local bus service. There are two bus lines every an hour from Split Sukosan bus station to Podstrana Riviera. Bus number 60 connecting Split, Stobrec, Podstrana, Dugi Rat and Omis and Bus number 30 Split-Mutogras-Split.
- Podstrana is only 27 km from Split airport . If you are arriving to Podstrana via the highway you should exit the highway in Dugopolje and then drive direction Split and later Omis. From the highway exit there is about 15 km to Podstrana.
- Traveling by car, Podstrana offers a lot of parking places as almost every accommodation property (hotels, apartments, private pensions) guarantee the safe parking.
- Podstrana is a budget friendly destination and accommodation prices are much lower then in Split town area.
- Beaches in Podstrana Croatia are gravel with a good access to the sea. Some parts also have concrete piers. The beaches in Podstrana stretch over 6 km, with a lot of small family hotels and apartments by the sea. Perhaps in Podstrana you will not find natural shade, but you will have no problem finding accommodation that is directly at the beach. See the photo below, to get an idea of how private apartments on the beach are!
Things to do in Podstrana, Croatia
Thanks its position, between Split town and Omis town, Podstrana offers a lot of interesting holiday activities for all ages. Staying in Podstrana Riviera it isn’t compulsorily to go go to Split to book one of many tours.
From some hotels in Podstrana, like 5 stars Le Meridien Lav and 4 stars Hotel Split, can be arranged guided visits to Split, Trogir and Omis . It’s also possible to book a rafting trip on Cetina River and island tours on speed boats. Bicycles, cars and scooters are also available for rent.
Podstrana Croatia offers various activities on its own territory like cycling trails in Podstrana with 8 different trails from easy, flat and pleasant trail to a demanding mountain trails with breathtaking views.
If cycling isn’t for you, I suggest hiking in Podstrana as it does not require a lot of effort but is the best way to tour the region and discover all its natural and cultural assets. There are a lot of marked hiking trails that begin in Strozanac, all the way to Mutogras and Gornja (Upper) Podstrana.
For those looking for more adrenaline activities, Perun climbing area is the perfect place, with difficulty levels ranging between 4c and 8a. You can contact some local agencies for more information.
Some local travel agency organize excellent recreational kayak rides, along the coast of Podstrana and Stobrec bay and entering in gentle Zrnovnica river to enjoy the idyllic river landscape with lush vegetation.
Where to stay in Podstrana Croatia
Podstrana makes a great alternative to the Split city center, especially if you’d like to combine a beach and cultural holiday.
Podstrana Croatia Riviera on its 6 km long beach offers all types of accommodation properties.
If you’re looking for properties with sea view, than Podstrana offers a lot of private apartments for people that want a beautiful view of the crystal clear sea.
Podstrana’s 5 stars hotel
Le Meridien Lav is the only five star resort located in Podstrana, 8 km south of Split, it has a 800 m long beach line, landscaped gardens and it overlooks the city and the surrounding islands.
The Diocletian Spa and Wellness Centre includes an indoor infinity pool, saunas, steam baths, whirlpools with a large selection of treatments.
More hotels in Podstrana Croatia
- Hotel Gala Split Podstrana
- The Residence Hotel
- Hotel Krilo Podstrana