Summer in Croatia: Vacation Guide
When planning your vacations , the summer in Croatia will be for the most of you, the most favorite season. When talking about your long awaited summer vacation in Croatia, I refer to two summer months, July and August.
If you ask me whether these are the ideal months for holidays, that would probably depend partly on whom you are asking that question.
Ask any child and they will tell you that summer vacation is awesome. Young couples, youngsters will answer that it’s the only period they would plan to go. Ask any parent or seniors and you might get a different answer.
A vacation in the summer months is one of the most appreciated joy we experience each year. Nothing will change if you choose Croatia in this period, considered as the peak of tourist period in Croatia. From my experience, there are pros and cons for July and August vacations.
Summer in Croatia: The pros
From a meteorological perspective, you can’t be wrong coming in summer as the weather in Croatia, will donate you a lot of sunbathing and swimming enjoyments.
If you are looking for fun, during the summer evenings along the Croatia Adriatic coast you will enjoy the world’s greatest hits and dance rhythms in many clubs, night clubs, cafes or party beaches. In addition to the unforgettable nightlife, a variety of festivals for every taste, await for you. Just to remind you of two, Split and Dubrovnik summer festivals.
If you come with only one goal, to have fun, the top tourist event this summer, will be Ultra Europe festival, when in July (15, 16 and 17), Split and the islands of Brac, Hvar and Vis host leading names in electronic music, and the top ten world’s DJ.
One of the advantages during the summer regards facilities of moving between mainland and numerous islands along the coast. Jadrolinija, the largest ferry company, during the peak season keeps very frequent connections between the principal ports like Rijeka, Zadar, Sibenik, Split and Dubrovnik (even over night) to the all islands.
Useful Summer Tips
I would rather talk about useful tips than cons when yo decide for your summer vacations in Croatia:
- Summer in Croatia is the most crowded period particularly between end of July to mid of August. ( It’s a time of ferragosto, Italian period of vacations)
- Don’t travel in this period without booking your accommodation in advance.
- If you are traveling by car, keep away from driving for Italy via Trieste at the beginning of August, unless you want to find long traffic queues (sometimes 10 to 12 hours).
- If you are getting to Croatia from Italy, take a ferry ship from Ancona (to Split and Zadar) or from Bari (to Dubrovnik). Also in this case it is advisable to have a reserved seat in advance ( particularly for the car).
- Also for some internal ferry connections from Split to Hvar (Stari Grad) and Brac island, Jadrolinija gives you possibility to book in advance.
- If you are traveling with kids, be aware of sunburns. I suggest to go with small kids to the beach earlier in the morning (07.30 A.M.) up to 11.30 or 12.00. When in July and August sun-hat, sun glasses and sun cream are a must have.
- Summer in Croatia is the priciest vacation period. Top destinations like Hvar and Dubrovnik raise hotel prices. My advice is to rely on private rentals, apartments or rooms if you are on a budget.